> On Mar 26, 2019, at 10:10 PM, Nicholas Stock <nickst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I used to think they weren’t proper nixie tubes way back when i got into this
> hobby. You know, back when they were going for under $20 dollars each. What a
> muppet i was.

A friend of mine gave me one (with the socket) years ago. I just got it out and
did a quick and dirty test with a ZeroStat "pistol". All the cathodes appear to
be good.

The ZeroStat was designed for neutralizing the static charge on LPs that was
generated by pulling them out of the sleeve. Imported LPs from France and the
UK didn't have the vinyl formulation that bled the charge off like US
pressings. Three zaps and all the high pitched "whistles" disappeared.

It's basically a piezo crystal just like a barbecue grill ignitor. I don't play
LPs anymore but it's great for checking neon and argon devices.

> On Mar 27, 2019, at 12:58 AM, 'jf...@my-deja.com' via neonixie-l
> <neonixie-l@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> I got mine from John Meshna in Lynn MA for $1 each, including sockets,  back
> in the mid -1970s.  I think they were $5 for a pair with sockets and  the
> board full of HV driver transistors.  Plus shipping, of course.

Man that brings back memories. I don't think I ever bought anything from them
but I received catalogs for years.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"