Mmm yes, quite right. At the absolute minimum striking voltage the
formation of the glow will be slow (potentially many seconds),
ambient light dependent and these days pretty uncertain as the tube
will not likely conform to specs after such long storage (we know that
GS10D and similar tubes degrade in storage - what Martin is referring to as
outgassing). When testing GS10D I run them up to 625V (transiently) before
deciding whether or not they're dead or dying.

I doubt the loose base is the issue. Most dekatrons with loose bases just
have a bit of failure in the cement that holds the base shell onto the
bottom of the tube - it's not directly involved in the integrity of the
glass envelope per se. Nothing that a judicious drop of glue can't
stabilise...

I'd suggest debugging the circuit on one of the tubes that Mike designed it
for, and then adapting it to your GS10D.

Cheers,

Jon.