I actually tracked him down after seeing his kickstarter.  I found a phone
number for a different first name that I thought was related to him and
called it... he answered the phone.  We talked a while he told me he'd
build a clock without tubes for me for the kickstarter price.  He also I've
noticed has been selling his O-scope tube clocks on ebay and also has a an
O-scope clock website where he sells all his clocks.  One thing I give him
credit for is he does most all of it himself.  He actually builds the
clocks from scratch himeself.  He even makes his own top cover cases.  This
price is so out there though... I'm not sure what the deal is unless he
really thinks since the 7971 prices have gotten so outa wack that someone
would actually pay that... I hope it was a joke or something.  I mean no
offense but it's not a Michael B. mod-six kind of clock and it's only four
tubes.