> Gregbert: Interested in the "genuine" qualifier and what is behind it. The
> original clock board was put in a box in late 2015 with a CR2032 coin cell
> powering the DS3231. When I restarted the project in early 2019, the clock
> came up with under 1 minute off  Great chip and really long battery life

There are apparently some fake DS3231/DS3232 ICs out there that have
timekeeping problems. So far, I have found 2 different bugs on different
modules with the cheap RTC modules bough on Ebay.

   - Rollover problem on Dec 31: Date goes to Sept  02
   - Accuracy problem: Losing time at the rate of more than 1 minute per day

When I use units purchased from Digikey, I have no problems.

BTW, this chip averages about 1-2uA current consumption, then every 100
seconds it runs an internal routine that takes a lot more than 50uA; the
spike pegs my 50uA mechanical meter.

My first few nixie clocks use the AC-line for timing; I do see some
day-to-day wandering, and in addition it seems to accumulate a few extra
seconds per month. I have a pretty good low-pass filter for the
timing-extraction, so it must be low-frequency noise spikes. All of my new
clocks use a RasPi for automatic timing, so I have not bothered to
trace-down the line-frequency stability.