Subject is B8971, but this thread seems to be about the B5971s.

Have you thought about the B5971 SmartSockets?

I had a bunch of boards made and a couple others have bought them.  Not sure
about the drivers for features yet, but it’s serial communication and easily
made to do what you want.  A simple NTP could be put on an ESP-8266 to drive it.

The boards, code, etc is online available.

Code is a link to my dropbox as I make small changes as I find either issues or
better features.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/m1

Assembled view of 6 on 6.

https://imgur.com/a/T0DrMD2