A while back I picked up a bunch of Wamco KW-104AL displays, which are tiny
16-segment incandescent displays, with the idea of building a FLW pocket
watch.  The pocket watch enclosure has a few advantages.  First, it's OK
for it to be a bit out-sized, compared to a wrist watch.  Also, it has a
stem, which can couple to both a rotary encoder and a button for the
interface.  However, I picked up a few pocket watch cases on eBay, and it's
still a really tight fit.  The displays are great, though - they're
incredibly easy to drive, rugged, and I think they look very nice.  They
match the steampunk aesthetic of the brass pocket watch very well.

I really lucked out with the displays; I got a couple dozen for about ten
bucks (plus shipping), and they all seem to be good.  (I've used a lot of
Numitrons - and the Russian equivalents - in the past, and they're a very
rugged, tolerant, and long-lasting technology.  I've never had one fail
except when horribly abused.  One actually broke open on my art car at
Burning Man, and continued to function *without the glass envelope* for
several hours!)
~~
Mark Moulding