Now I see how you've done your layout. No concerns about conductor
sizing/shape.

Most of the time when I have SMT pads with a feedthru, they work fine.
However on a current project I have a pair of SMT pads with a feedthru, and
I have a very difficult time getting proper heating/solder-flow. The device
is a large-ish NMOS transistor and the gate signal pin is not making good
contact. I have similar structures in many other places on the board where
the top and bottom side have SMT pads connected together by a via and they
work fine.

But this one has different-size SMT pads connected by a via, and that has
been a problem on both boards I've built, and at no other location. I
suggest you make sure the 4 feedthru holes are larger than minimum-geometry
(they look like they probably are) and you may want to pre-fill the
feedthrus with solder before mounting Q1. You should then be able to heat
from the backside and see good solder-flow on the top-side without actually
heating from the top side. That should guarantee a good connection.