On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 3:08:23 PM UTC-5, Tyler Bourne wrote:

> Even if someone did try to recreate these they would probably cost even
> more.  I love NIMOs for their impressive overcomplication of a simple task.

The Soviet-era ITS1-A is an even more bizarre tube, but there seem to be
more of those floating around. I have a 6-digit ITS1-A clock from one of
the designers here, and a couple of the single-tube demo boards that the
VTA made a limited run of a few years ago.

Some things that seemed bizarre in the early 60's jump-started whole
industries - for example, the primitive integrated circuits designed for
the Apollo space program led to modern IC technology. Display devices had a
similar explosion of types and designs, but very few of them had much
impact. Nixies (defunct except for hobbyists), Numitrons (defunct except
for very few niche applications), VFD, LED and LCD are really the only
major ones I can think of (and 2 of those are defunct).

It may be that the nimo was designed for applications where the high
voltage was already available as part of some other component. IEE did sell
power supplies, but that seemed to be more for evaluation purposes than to
put into actual production gear. Speaking of odd combinations, I believe
the type 6977 VFD was designed as a logic level indicator for vacuum-tube
computers.