For each of my expensive tubes (b7971, R|z568m) I measure and plot the I-V
characteristics. There aren't any serial numbers on b7971's so I just write
one on the backside.

If the tube fails later on, I check the I-V characteristics to see if
anything changes; so far only 1 b7971 has failed when segments shorted
together. None of the unaffected segments showed any measurable changes.

I definitely need to add the runtime datalogging.