My late father was a Professor of Chemistry and we often had "interesting"
chemicals at home (Benzene, Diethyl Ether, Pentane, Carbon Tetrachloride
(CCL), Butyl Acetate, Lab Alcohol, Toluene, Xylene and Sodium Hydroxide
right off the top of my head). He also collected elements and I still have
a 1lb bottle of mercury safely stored as well as a very nice Honeywell
mercury switch from a furnace (a substantial blob of mercury and being in a
sealed tube, the mercury is bright and shiny without any oxidation).

I do recall back in the early 1970's when OSHA came into existence and
started promulgating rules, how perturbed my father was at all the changes
the university had to make in the chemical storeroom. CCL and Benzene were
classified as carcinogens and moved into a newly built store room for such
chemicals as well as requiring new handling procedures (no more just using
it out on an open lab table). Sadly, approximately 25 years later in 1997
at age 75, he passed from bladder cancer most likely caused by exposure to
the many organic chemicals like Benzene and CCL over the many decades. I
recall reviewing my health history with my primary care physician and
discussing parents health history with him. He recalled being in medical
school and drawing lines on his skin with Benzene along with the other med
students. Who knew?

Robert