Sharp eyes Grahame, and some sharp deductions too...

The tube is indeed spinning, quite quickly. So we are looking at a
persistence of vision effect, but not one created by a highly specific
camera shutter speed - this is what the tube looks like to the naked eye.
And neither is the tube being abused with a funky hook-up, it's operating
in the manufacturer's reference circuit (might be give or take on the odd
component value, I don't remember). It is a commercial tube, not a
prototype / developmental tube. Your comment on mica vs ceramic is spot on
- the family of tubes of which this is a member do switch from mica
supports to ceramics. I have not actually seen an example of this
particular type with a ceramic support, but I have no reason to believe
they were not made.

So, very nice progress. Anyone able to get us all the way over the line?

Jon.