> Digital microscopes came up in the thread "Photoshot from a defective IN-4
> Tube".
>
> I took a look on Amazon. When I got to the ones with hi-res video displays my
> jaw dropped. I had no idea that they existed.
>
> This is EXACTLY what I need for through-hole work. It brings SMT within reach
> but my hands are too unsteady and I really don't want to go down that road.
>
> In no particular order...
>
> My budget is ~$150
>
> I don't need to interface with a computer or even save images to an SD card
> (although I could probably find a use for the latter feature)
>
> What would an appropriate magnification range be? I'd like to be able to see
> modest areas of a PC board (say a few DIPs across) down to reading the
> markings on SMT parts
>
> A screen resolution of HD (1920 x 1080) on 7" screen would be in the ballpark
>
> An actual work area (albeit small) rather than some slide clips
>

> That's all I can think of at the moment. Please pile on.

There are some good ones out there, but don't buy anything from amazon, ever.
Not only are they evil, but most of their merchandise is counterfeit.  I avoid
the bottom feeders like DealExtreme, but there are good deals to be had from
Banggood, eBay, AliExpress, etc. if you keep your eyes open.  There are also
some upscale resellers with good return policies, tech support, etc., but
they're probably out of your price range.

- John