Thank you for the responses so far.  What interests mwe the most about
all of this, is that this is making me wonder exactly what it is

        that determines initially when the tube is brand new, the difference
between the bond wires and the actual digit cathodes.   Upon close

        examination of these dud tubes, and a known good working one, I can see
no obvious difference between them.   Looking closely, I see that the

        bond wires run very closely to the outside of the cylindrical shaped
anode.  It makes perfect sense to me that these wires be surrounded with a neon

        glow, simply because they are so close to the anode.  I want to know
what the tube designers did to prevent this glow, and why it is happening now.

        In other words, what exactly has happened to these tubes from sitting
in their boxes since 1968, which would make the wires glow

        now, yet they did not glow whehn the tubes left the factory.   Or
possibly this was a defective batch that was never any good from day 1.

        I suspect that they have leaked.  Something is probably up with the
internal pressure, and/or the gas mixture.  Perhaps some air got in.

        Not enough to completely kill it, but enough to cause this highly
abnormal behavior.  I bet Dalibor might know.   Perhaps I'll contact him and
attempt

        to pick his brain a bit.  If anyone would know, he would.

        I will say this much, however:   Looking back over the past 20+ years
of  nixie tube collecting and use, I am concluding that

        Burroughs 6844A tubes are often found bad for a variety of reasons.
Have had many scrounged up at hamfests, etc.  Lots of bad ones.

        However, the National brand  NL-6844A tubes seem to have a much better
chance of still being ok.

        6844A turns out to be not such a great tube.   But I built a clock that
has them prominently sticking out from the clear front

        panel.   I have another clock in the works that uses 8422 tubes.
Those seem to be quite good as far as a high percentage of them

        still being ok.  So my search for 6844A spares will continue.    I am
now working with the Ebay seller of these (8) 6844A duds to

        see if I can get back my $78 (ouch!) that I spent on them.  -Chuck