I believe that the Monsanto MAN-1 was the first commercially available
7-segment LED display.  It was introduced in 1969, but was so expensive
(~$300 each, or $175 in 1000s) that it didn't get much use until later in
the 70s.

I was surprised to find that the Numitron (or its ilk: Minitron, Apollo
IEEE, and Wamco, and the Russian IV9 and IV16) was also introduced around
that time.  All of the data sheets I have (that are dated - many are not)
were published around 1972. The Numitron was certainly a mature technology
by that time, but given that its fundamental technology had been available
since the 1920s, I would have thought it to have been available much
earlier.
~~
Mark Moulding