A late friend of mine who was quite a nixie addict.

He was inches away from flying to Europe for a set of CD47s before the deal
fell through. He was no less 'particular' about nixies than the nuttiest
among us, and had spoken with many folks (I don't know any names) while on
the hunt for these giant Japanese tubes.

He was very keen on building a tester to check each tube during the planned
transaction, as he caught wind of the fact that these tubes were prone to
outgassing from original manufacturing defects.

It's all hearsay, but if anyone has a stockpile of CD47s and can
corroborate, feel free to speak up!