The design needs the tubes to run at 4kpps to get all of the persistence of
vision effects to work smoothly. In the video you're looking at ETL GC10B
and GC12/4B - the clock auto-configures itself to work fine with any mix of
those and equivalents (GC10/4B, CV2271, Z303C) and Sylvania 6802. Although
I've described it as a H:M:S display, actually you can assign any function
(including cool visual effects) to any tube in software, so it's very
flexible.

The common Russian neon dekatrons (A101, OG4, OG9) won't work however, at
least per datasheet, as their max speeds are not high enough. And the octal
base tubes have a different pin-out (but that's a trivial change,
obviously).

Jon.