Apologies upfront. It was late at night and I was at least 51% joking around...
8D

> On May 17, 2021, at 4:18 AM, newxito <axta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My knowledge about non-numeric nixies is very limited. I know the IN-19
> versions matching the IN-14 tubes and the IN-15 versions for the IN-12,
> that's it.

That's essentially it. It's my understanding that the IN-7x complements the
IN-4 but I've never seen it done. And IIRC the IN-4 has no mercury so longevity
is an issue. Everyone feel free to correct me. I'm only half awake right now.

I'd really like to know what the IN-5x(-1) variants were used for. I get the
impression that the glyphs are the first letters of Russian words like "hour"
or something but that's just a guess.

> I used IN-16 and IN-17 because they are only 13mm wide. I don't know if there
> are +, -, E tubes that will fit.

I'm sure there are non-Soviet tubes small enough for the +/-. Smaller would
look OK. A small sideview "E" might be slightly trickier to find.

> That's why I used a horizontal neon bulb for the minus sign. The reason why
> the minus sign is now on the right is just a personal preference. A
> non-floating minus sign on the left looked kind of strange.

I hadn't thought about that.

> Displaying results using scientific notation should be only a firmware
> change. Instead of an E, a blank tube in between should do the job. The
> decimal point of the blank tube could indicate a negative exponent.

On my HP 35s it displays a diminutive capital  "E" before the exponent.

> Anyway, there are no plans to implement scientific notation, 14 digits are
> good enough for my needs :-)

If I run into it I know I probably hit the wrong button. I only have 12 visible
digits.

> Errors and over/underflows are indicated showing the 14 decimal points

Another example of leveraging what you have.

> I’m not sure, but I think making a RPN version should be just a firmware
> thing and some keycap legend changes (Enter)

Yeah, I could re-write the whole in FORTH.

The "ENTER" key would have to be relocated and made wider. I'd also need √,
1/X, y^x, π, and a destructive backspace (delete).

This turned out to be useful discussion after all. All blue-sky on my part but
fun.

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

https://www.astarcloseup.com

“...the book said something astonishing, a very big thought. The stars, it
said, were suns but very far away. The Sun was a star but close up.”—Carl
Sagan, "The Backbone Of Night", Cosmos, 1980