The MMBTA42 is a bipolar transistor and not a FET. Secondly it's NPN,
making it unsuitable as a high side switch, because the base needs to be at
least at 0.7V higher than the voltage at the emitter for the transistor to
turn on. I used a Winsok WST2339 because that was the lowest Rds(on)
P-channel FET I could find in a SOT-23 package. However you will no doubt
be able to find something similar from Mouser, Digikey, etc. It will be
active low, so the gate should be connected to the input voltage rail
through a pull-up resistor. Your microcontroller will then have to pull the
gate low to enable the power supply. If the supply voltage of the power
supply is within the voltage rating of your microcontroller's GPIO pins,
you can connect it directly. If not, you should use a N-channel MOSFET or
an NPN transistor to pull the gate low.