Having it mimick the dohickie, would require a toggle flip flop, to switch
directions on alternate counts. It could be either a descrete 2 transistor
stage, with associate resistors and caps, or a chip such as a 4013. Making
respond to stereo would also mean ping-pong-ing between two audio channels.
definitely turning into a "Rube Goldberg" contraption. If I ever decide to
go that route, using a uC would be the simple way out. Just add another
audio input stage to the current doHickie. It already has analog switching
internal to a Tiny24 uC. The "fun" way, would be to use only tubes.
Descrete circuit, only using tubes.

Maybe in the future ...