I agree fairly strongly with Pramancin - I think Numitrons would be the way
to go.  They are exceedingly rugged (originally used in fighter planes,
among many other applications), long-lived (10,000+ hours at maximum
brightness, converging to infinity at reduced drive voltages), and are very
easy to drive.  I've built both clocks and dashboard instruments with
nothing more than the Numitrons (or the Russian clones - IV-9 and IV-16,),
a string of 74HC595s as the output port expander, direct-driving the tubes,
and whatever processor I was using at the time (some were AT89C4051s, some
were AVRs - Arduinos, but on my own circuit board).

You might be giving up the charm of fully-formed digits, but in exchange,
in addition to the points above, the Numitrons are brighter (easily
sunlight-readable), can be filtered to any color, and you can produce a
surprisingly workable alpha-numeric character set using the seven
segments.  There is no high-voltage generator or circuitry to worry about
either - just the 5-volt logic supply.  I used a bunch on a Burning Man art
car, and that's where I suffered the only failure I've ever had, when an
errant beer can hit the tube full on.  It still worked for a little while
even with the envelope broken (this was at night, so I had the brightness
way down).
~~
Mark Moulding