I built a few clocks some years ago, both with the early DC106 modules
(tube and diode based) and the later DC111A/B modules (transistor and diode
based). Burroughs even described how to build clocks in some of their
datasheets where they showed how to eliminate some spade positions if you
wanted to count to any other number than from 0 to 9 and a clock was one of
their simple projects.

To get a scale of six counter you can connect four consecutive spades
together just using one set of spade components and using them as the reset
signal to the flip-flop driving the Trochotron, it will then reset when any
of the combined spades are hit by the beam. Then you just need a simple
tube coincidence circuit for the hours portion to reset the clock to
00:00:00 when it reaches 24:00:00 (you'll have to modify this for a 12 hour
clock though). Burroughs also combined two spades in two groups making the
DC111B count 0,1,2,5,8,9 so no extra reset signal was needed, the original
one from spade 9 was used - this way the beam skipped positions 2 & 4 + 6 &
7, you just hooked up the Nixie like 0-0, 1-1, 2-2, 5-3, 8-4 & 9-5
(Spade-Nixie#).

You can see my original DC111A & DC111B modules here:
https://youtu.be/4x8fR1NGFVA (counting 0-9) & https://youtu.be/O-JPo_Se10A
(counting 0-5 with modification via two groups of combined spades).

/Martin