I started by doing an analysis of how much energy I needed to run the watch
(which means you need to decide on which nixie tube to use, how many of
them, and how much display-time between charges), then research the
batteries available. Next, you have to decide how to control it, and the
energy budget for that. Finally, which device will you use for timekeeping,
eg DS3231.