So,

I have had an original NixiSat from new, so a long time now - I detailed
it's restoration to a more modern time source and working condition in
these two threads:

https://groups.google.com/g/neonixie-l/c/vcNOdSB3nYM/m/3AmeUTtCAQAJ
...and...
https://groups.google.com/g/neonixie-l/c/evzX0noEGXg/m/JrVaZG3YFogJ

However, a couple of days ago it had completely died; the PSU, a
switched-mode 12V 2A wall-wart was fine, but the clock was completely dead.

A quick check showed that the tiny 1.5A fuse had blown... and the IRF740AS
FET was TOAST, almost literally. It had got so hot that it had burnt the
PCB, (1cm charred circle) lifted the track and died to the extent that it
no longer identifies as any sort of semiconductor... it's shuffled of this
mortal coil and gone to join the heavenly choir  invisibule...  .
Interesting smell, well known to EEs (no, not pizza, burning FR4).

I replaced the fuse, did some clean-up of the crispiest bits, removed the
CPU, dead FET , the tubes (position recorded for each tube as it was
wrapped and stored) and HV drivers and did some voltage checks. The MAX771
was running and the 5V rail was fine... the HV drivers and CPU were looking
good.

So I replaced the FET with a more modern FDB14N30 which is also in a TO-263
(D2PAK) and is just generally a better FET (and I had some) - specifically
lower Qg & RDSon; similar VGS(th). Tracks repaired just for the FET drain
with 28G TCW.

Using a good lab PSU (Tektronix PS2521G), 'scope (Tektronix 2465A) and DMMs
(Agilient U1272A & U1253B) plus an Aglilent FLIR,  I started looking for
trouble...  it arrived quickly.

With 12V in, the current went right up to 260mA and the FET temperature
started climbing rapidly - at 70C I cut the power. The HT rail was not
easily readable and was the first indicator of what might be happening. The
FET gate was looking fine with variable width pulses at about 45kHz but
much more "mark" than "space" - not what was expected for an unloaded HT
SMPS boost controller - it should have settled really quickly into more
"space" than "mark"...

Looking at the HT rail using the 'scope was revealing - it was all over the
shop, from about 120V up to 290V - sharp rise time and then decay until the
next hit from the inductor...

Just for sanity, I checked the feedback resistors - 1M5 and 12K7 - they
were fine, but obviously what was happening was that the wild swings were
driving the MAX771 insane, that was keeping the FET mostly on and that in
turn was connecting the FET between 12V and  GND with about 0R25 or series
resistance (the current sense resistors, 0R125 and the inductor 100uH and
0R11) plus the RDSon of the FET (which is about 0R290).

What on earth would cause this? It's obvious if you think about it :)

The boost converter output tank capacitor should be 4u7F @ 400V. I removed
it and checked - it came in at 5p5F ! Another dead component. For
reference, it was an Xicon.

Without a tank, the output will do exactly as I observed and the FET will
cook. Lucky that other stuff like the HV drivers and the MAX771 didn't get
damaged too...

Replacement cap - I had a nice, good quality Nichcon 10uF @ 300V with the
same pin spacing, so used that.

All done. Without the tubes, the NixiSat idles now at about 25mA with the
FET stone cold and the gate staying at 0V as the tank was a nice, steady,
182V. Replaced each tube in original position. All good.

Clock fixed for almost nothing, but an interesting lesson for those who
haven't fiddled with these sorts of supplies...

Nick