A colleague is looking for proxy detection in general.  Alas, I'm not where I can 
conveniently check plugins.  I know Nessus will detect a few of these, and probably 
examining HTTPD headers captured by Nessus services will help find run of the mill web 
proxies.  Any other suggestions?  Maybe this is an opportunity for more plugin writing 
to deal with the most common protocol proxies... -- Greg Johnson, University of 
Missouri - Columbia

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin, James E. 
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 1:45 PM
Subject: [unisog] Looking for Proxy Scanning Verification Tool

Folks, 

Right now I have several sites in our downstream that are open proxies. Some are 
squid, some are Bess, some are MS, some are unknown. Given the number of downstream 
networks, I believe it likely there are others. 

Some of these are only being currently blacklisted as "mere" open mail relays. We're 
working with these sites now. 

What I want is a tool that will scan our networks not just for open proxy ports, but 
report back on (1) whether they are open proxies (i.e., open Wingates, unsecured 
SOCKS4/SOCKS5 proxies, open HTTP CONNECT); and (2) check variables that pass through. 

Ideas? Suggestions? 

Thanks!
Jim

========================================
James E. Martin                           
MOREnet Network Security Coordinator 
University of Missouri System                     
voice: 573-884-7200   fax: 573-884-6673
========================================

Reply via email to