> If you could provide either a build process, or...
> heck, just post the binaries somewhere! ;)
Randy,
As long as you use a recent CVS version, or wait until 2.0.7, you should
be able to compile it yourself without mods under Cygwin.
Posting binaries for Cygwin is still a long ways off. Functionality is
very crippled due to some porting problems that I mentioned in the
previous e-mail.
> Seriously, having a windows build of nessusd would be wonderful!
Understand that a Cygwin build and a native Windows version are two
completely different things. For instance, the following will still need
to be done (after the Cygwin functionality is fixed) in order to run it
as a native Windows server:
* change directory structure to "standard" Windows "\PROGRAM
FILES\NESSUS SERVER\"
* change the Nessus server to use threads instead of forking
(forking is very slow under Windows)
* test 3rd-party app (such as Nikto, nmap, etc) support
* Windows-specific documentation, help files, install wizard
And that is just things that I thought of off the top of my head.
> I'd like to hear more about what you've done.
Actually, very little :-)
After being able to do a build, I provided some info to Renaud who
checked the fixes into CVS. I've done about 10 minutes of sanity testing
which showed some major functionality issues.
In order to give credit where credit is definitely due, the initial
Cygwin port was done by Jordan Hrycaj. I've just got it to compile under
2.0.x.
As I find time to work on this, I'll post details to this list as I go
along.
--Keith