Greets,

I'm trying to identify machines vulnerable to ms04-007.  I'll settle for
all CIFS/SMB servers that are vulnerable.

I'm running 

# nasl -s -t <host> /usr/local/lib/nessus/plugins/cifs445.nasl
/usr/local/lib/nessus/plugins/netbios_name_get.nasl
/usr/local/lib/nessus/plugins/windows_asn1_vuln_ntlm.nasl

I look for "SMB server" or "CIFS server" to see if that service is
running, and then look for "Success" to determine vulnerability.

I expect about 90% of my CIFS/SMB servers to be unpatched.  However, I'm
only getting 32% vulnerable -- so based on my expectation, this would
mean a 90% - 32% = 58% false negative rate, which is pretty bad.  What
am I doing wrong?

In the false negatives, what I'm seeing is that when
windows_asn1_vuln_ntlm is executing, when it is setting up the netbios
session, the called name is blank -- so the tested host returns "called
name not present" and the script gives up, even though SMB/name keys are
being set.

???

--woody


Woody Weaver                     cell: 301 524 8138
Manager, GIT Security Planning   mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Schering-Plough, Madison NJ      land: 301 473 7320




*********************************************************************
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not 
the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use or distribution of the information 
included in this message is prohibited -- Please immediately and permanently delete.

_______________________________________________
Nessus mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mail.nessus.org/mailman/listinfo/nessus

Reply via email to