On 18/08/2010 11:28, gustav trede wrote:

On 18 August 2010 12:10, Chris Hegarty <chris.hega...@oracle.com
<mailto:chris.hega...@oracle.com>> wrote:

    Michael,

    java.net.HttpCookie uses static SimpleDateFormat which is not thread
    safe. I think the best solution here is to simply create local
    SimpleDateFormat as needed.

    Webrev:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/6965924/webrev.00/webrev/
    <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Echegar/6965924/webrev.00/webrev/>

Why not use a threadlocal dateformater ?.

I guess it depends on the use of HttpCookie. In the JDK HttpCookie is only used to parse cookies sent in a HTTP response. For this type of application potentially keeping three formatters per thread seems like a waste. This, of course, is only one use.

For certain cases Its also viable to exploit the fact that its enough to
generate a new value once per second for HTTP timestamps.

I don't understand. Are you using HttpCookie in a server type context?

-Chris.

Even if its not "needed", it would imo be nice if the JDK code itself
could somehow act as reference / good examples of how to THINK(design)
and implement.

regards
    gustav trede