On the regression testcase theme, it got me thinking as to whether we've any java APIs which can query what the native heap usage of the JVM. Is that available over JMX ?

I tried the MBeanServer approach but didn't get the expected results. Queried the "NonHeapMemoryUsage" object.

something like.

        MBeanServer server = ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer();
        ObjectName memory = new ObjectName(MEMORY_MXBEAN_NAME);

        Object ob = server.getAttribute(memory, "NonHeapMemoryUsage");
        MemoryUsage mu = MemoryUsage.from((CompositeData) ob);
        System.out.println("Nonheap : " + mu.getUsed());

What exactly is JMX measuring in "NonHeapMemoryUsage" mode ? Any pointers ?

regards,
Sean.