On 12/22/2016 4:08 PM, Zeller, Arno wrote:

Hi Vyom,

thanks you for having a look at my patch!

Regarding your suggestion to call CHECK_NULL_RETURN in DefaultProxySelector.c:

I guess you mean the Unix variant of DefaultProxySelector.c (src/java.base/unix/native/libnet/DefaultProxySelector.c).

419     if (proxies) {

420         if (!error) {

421             int i;

422             // create an empty LinkedList to add the Proxy objects.

423 proxyList = (*env)->NewObject(env, list_class, list_ctrID);

424             if (proxyList != NULL) {

425 for(i = 0; proxies[i]; i++) {

454                 }

455             }

456         }

457 (*g_strfreev)(proxies);

458     }

There I check in the next line if proxyList is NULL and skip the rest in this case, but I cannot return without freeing the memory I got from the gnome function call by calling (g_strfreev) later - otherwise there would be a memory leak.

yes that true, but if NewObject failed at line 423 then there will be pending JNI exception in "getSystemProxy" method which calls "getProxyByGProxyResolver" method. I will suggest you to check for any JNI exception after calling the "getProxyByGProxyResolver".

And in the Windows case it is the same pattern - at the point where I removed the CHECK_NULL_RETURN macros I hold Windows system memory (in proxy_info and ie_proxy_config) that I have to free with GlobalFree(...) and I also have to release the JNI memory I hold with ReleaseStringChars(...).

I hope this explains the motivation of my change at this point.

it make sense but I am not the JNI expert may be some one else can comments if it is safe to call the functions like "ReleaseStringChars" etc even if there is pending JNI exception before(if NewString fails at 266) function call.

Thanks,
Vyom

Best regards,

Arno