On 9/15/2017 7:41 AM, Rob McKenna wrote:
On 15/09/17 07:07, Xuelei Fan wrote:
On 9/15/2017 7:00 AM, Rob McKenna wrote:
When we call close() on the SSLSocket that calls close() on the
underlying java Socket which closes the native socket.

Sorry, I did not get the point.  Please see the close() implementation of
SSLSocket (sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.close()) about the details.

Running my original test against an instrumented 8u-dev produces the
following:

java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
        at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Thread.java:1336)
        at java.net.Socket.close(Socket.java:1491)
        at sun.security.ssl.BaseSSLSocketImpl.close(BaseSSLSocketImpl.java:624)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.closeSocket(SSLSocketImpl.java:1579)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1980)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.waitForClose(SSLSocketImpl.java:1793)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.closeSocket(SSLSocketImpl.java:1592)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.closeInternal(SSLSocketImpl.java:1726)
        at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.close(SSLSocketImpl.java:1615)
        at ssl.SSLClient.close(SSLClient.java:143)
        at ssl.SocketTimeoutCloseHang.ReadHang.testSSLServer(ReadHang.java:77)

It is just one possible stacks of many. There are cases where no fatal() get called. For example, application call close() method directly.

Xuelei