I don't have any opinion on the matter, but a datapoint to the popularity
of PATCH is its use in the GitHub API:

https://developer.github.com/v3/

GitHub is often looked to as a gold standard for how to write a REST API,
so if they do it, it's likely that many others do too.

--
*James Roper*
*Senior Octonaut*

Lightbend <https://www.lightbend.com/> – Build reactive apps!