Hi Srividya,

On 09/04/18 10:58, Srividya Shamaiah wrote:
Hi ,
In method Java_java_net_Inet6AddressImpl_getLocalHostName , file *src/solaris/native/java/net/Inet6AddressImpl.c *, there were changes that was added due to *8169865: Downport minor fixes in java.net native code from JDK 9 to JDK 8 *which removed the additional work for non Solaris platforms of doing a reverse lookup to get the hostname. Is there any specific reason as to why the same change is not added to method Java_java_net_Inet4AddressImpl_getLocalHostName, file *src/solaris/native/java/net/Inet4AddressImpl.c *. For IPv4 we still continue to resolve hostname through nameservice for all UNIX platforms while for IPv6 we do this only for Solaris platforms.

The changes for 8169865, in this area, were mainly motivated
by clean up, rather than function. I agree that there is an
inconsistency between the IPv4 and IPv6 lookup
implementations. This inconsistency has been for many many
years. Are you seeing any specific issues relating to this?

-Chris.