On Mon, 23 May 2022 12:31:40 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Can I please get a review of this change which addresses
>> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8287104?
>>
>> The change in this commit now uses an `InnocuousThread` to create a thread
>> with `null` context classloader. The `Runnable` task of this thread just
>> invokes a native method through JNI to be notified of IP addresses change of
>> the host. As such any specific thread context classloader isn't necessary in
>> this thread.
>>
>> Additionally, this commit does some minor changes like making the `lock`
>> member variable `final` and also marking the `changed` member variable as
>> `volatile`. These changes aren't necessary for this fix, but I think would
>> be good to have while we are changing this part of the code.
>>
>> Finally, the thread that we create here, now has a specific name
>> `Net-address-change-listener` instead of the usual system wide
>> auto-generated name.
>>
>> No new tests have been added for this change. Existing tier1, tier2 and
>> tier3 tests have been run and no related failures have been noticed.
>
> Jaikiran Pai has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Aleksei's review suggestion - use a better Thread name

src/java.base/windows/classes/sun/net/dns/ResolverConfigurationImpl.java line
49:

> 47:     // Addresses have changed. We default to true to make sure we
> 48:     // resolve the first time it is requested.
> 49:     private static volatile boolean changed = true;

The field `changed` is only accessed when `synchronized` on `lock` - except for
this initialization line here. I wonder if the volatile is actually needed. A
better fix might be to rename it to `nochanges` and revert its semantics, which
would allow to leave it initialized to false.  Or maybe just revert changes to
line 49.
Otherwise looks good to me.