Date:    Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:09:06 -0500
From:    Gleason Sackmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: K12> UNI Online Workshop - Bullying in Schools begins Sept. 23

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:49:49 -0500
From: Joan Vandervelde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

BULLYING IN SCHOOLS
University of Northern Iowa Online Workshop Begins Sept. 23
http://www.uni.edu/profdev/safeschool/

Designed for guidance counselors, prevention and
intervention coordinators, safe school coordinators,
drug/violence prevention counselors, building principals,
classroom teachers and members of at-risk teams.

Think bullying doesn't happen in your school?

FACT: Bullying is one of the most underreported, yet serious
problems related to school safety today.

FACT: 160,000 students miss school everyday because they are
in fear of being bullied.

FACT: Teasing and bullying are ranked by students ages 8-15
as greater problems than racism, AIDS, or alcohol.
(Statistics Resource: Kaiser Family Foundation Study - 2001)

Workshop activities include:
* Completing a school safety checklist
* Reviewing best practices and programs that promote school
safety and reduce bullying
* Discussing ways for teachers, parents and community to
work together on this issue
* Designing effective learning activities that integrate
school safety issues with existing curriculum

Conducted TOTALLY online with no face-to-face class
sessions, this workshop allows educators to earn
professional development credits and participate from a home
or school computer at times that work best with busy
teaching schedules and family responsibilities.

FAQS: http://www.uni.edu/profdev/safeschool/faq.html
SYLLABUS:
http://www.uni.edu/profdev/safeschool/syllabus.html

***************************************
REGISTER SOON
Online registration is available at:
http://www.uni.edu/profdev/register/

Limited to 20 participants per section on a first come,
first serve basis. Select university billing, credit card,
or school invoice for tuition payment. No payment is due
until the class begins. University bills will be mailed in
mid-October and mid-November.

FOR MORE INFORMATION…
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Joan Vandervelde
Director, Online Professional Development
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0613
Phone: (319) 273-2202
Fax: (319) 273-7298