On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:46:39 +0530 Ravi, wrote:
RRS> I came across a proxy configuration in Net-Snmp's snmpd.conf file and it
RRS> reads as
RRS>
RRS> proxy [-Cn CONTEXTNAME] [SNMPCMD ARGS] HOST OID [REMOTEOID]
RRS>
RRS> What is this CONTEXTNAME and how it is configured. Can somebody explain
RRS> briefly how to configure this CONTEXTNAME?

SNMPv3 introduced the concept of contexts, which allow the agent to return
different data for the same OID. If you have machineA configured to proxy
all OIDs for machineB with a context of 'abc', then

 snmpget -v 3        machineA sysDescr.0 = "machineA"
 snmpget -v 3 -n abc machineA sysDescr.0 = "machineB"

--
NOTE: messages sent directly to me, instead of the lists, will be deleted
      unless they are requests for paid consulting services.

Robert Story; NET-SNMP Junkie
Support: <http://www.net-snmp.org/> <irc://irc.freenode.net/#net-snmp>
Archive: <http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=net-snmp-coders>

You are lost in a twisty maze of little standards, all different.