On 14 May 2010 04:46, Edward Peschko <e...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I see that the last uploaded version of the perl module, Net::SNMP, to CPAN
> was made in 2007. I take it that CPAN isn’t supported anymore.

We have no idea.   From the project FAQ:

I've got a problem with the Net-SNMP module.  Can you help?

  Sorry, despite the similar-sounding name, the Net-SNMP (or Net::SNMP)
  module is nothing to do with this package, or the NetSNMP modules.
  Net::SNMP is a "pure-perl" implementation of SNMP support, developed
  by David Town.  The developers of the (C-based) Net-SNMP suite do
  not have any significant experience in using this particular module,
  and you'll probably be better off asking for help via CPAN or some
  other perl-related forum.

In fact, the most recent version of David's module (v6.0.0) was uploaded
in September last year.

If you mean the SNMP (and NetSNMP) modules, then yes - those do
date from 2007.

> Is that true? For those of us that have our build processes centered on
> CPAN, this makes it difficult with regards to the Net::SNMP package.

The problem we've always had with using CPAN is ensuring a match
between the version of the perl modules and the local libraries.
Because the two are fairly tightly linked, there can be problems when
people installing code from CPAN that doesn't match the C libraries
which they are using.

Hence it felt simpler to encourage people to install the perl modules
from the same source tree as the C libraries (either directly, or via
vendor-supplied packages).   That way they should get the correct
version for their environment.

> So could the latest version be put on CPAN?

We've got an admin meeting later today, so I've put this on the agenda.

Dave