On 7 January 2011 13:32, Niels Baggesen <n...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 04:50:28PM +0000, Dave Shield wrote:
>> My inclination would be to apply the patches individually, rather
>> than all in one go.   That might be a bit more work, but should
>> make it easier to identify related changes (and what problems they
>> are trying to address).
>
> That would be nice, but when you get to ports or pkgsrc what they have
> is a set of patches that each patch one file - and no description of
> what problem each tries to solve. And fixing a problem problem might
> often involve patching more than one file, so it is not that easy

Indeed :-)

I've just finished working through the FreeBSD patches
(and am starting to look at the OpenBSD patches).

What I've found to work reasonably well is to sort the list of
files by date order - that tends to cluster the various elements
of a single patch together.

Working out what each patch does is usually reasonably straightforward,
as is determining whether it's safe/necessary to apply.   I've still got a
handful of FreeBSD patches that I'd want to look at more closely, but
the majority of them have either been applied, or are no longer needed.

With a following wind, I should be able to get the OpenBSD patches
sorted over the weekend, and can make a start on the NetBSD set.
Then I'll release 5.5.1.pre2, and we'll discover what I've broken!

Dave