From: Bart Van Assche <bvanass...@acm.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 3:39 AM
To: Vijay, Anjali <anjali.vi...@hp.com>; net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: To understand the increase in size of buffer in agentx_parse() in
net-snmp-5.8

On 4/25/19 5:56 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 4/25/19 8:00 AM, Vijay, Anjali wrote:
I recently started working with net-snmp-5.8. I had a query over a change that
was made to agentx_parse() in agent/mibgroup/agentx/protocol.c. I noticed that
the buffer of  SNMP_MAX_MSG_SIZE (1472) in net-snmp-5.7.3 has been replaced
with the size 65536 in net-snmp-5.8.

u_char buffer[65536];

I didn't find any clarification in the ChangeLogs for this large increase of
size. Can this size be reduced? It would be of great help if anyone can clear
me out on this since my application has memory constraints.

Hi Anjali,

I will have a look and see whether it is possible to modify the AgentX code
without reducing performance and without dropping support for large AgentX
packets. BTW, the following commit increased the buffer size:

c09140c934eb ("CHANGES: snmpd: Increase maximum AgentX packet size to 64kB.")

Hi Anjali,

A candidate fix has been checked in on the v5.8 and master branches. Please
verify.

Bart.