>  Let me try to strain this analogy to the braking point:
> if I went to a party where you and some of your friends were hanging out,
> I might ask one of them, "Can you tell me where William Buckley is?"
> and they might say, "Bill is over there."

Actually, if I can correct that analogy slightly.

If you ask "Can you tell me where William Buckley is?"
   they should reply "William Buckley is over there."

If you ask "Can you tell me where Bill is?"
   they should reply "Bill is over there."

If you ask "Can you tell me where the cleverest man in the room is?"
   (and that happens to be William Buckley)
   they should reply "The cleverest man in the room is over there."

The phrasing of the answer should match that of the question,
irrespective of the fact that a different question would result
in the same answer.

>  They know that Bill and William are the same person but
>  I don't have to know that to find you.

Correct.