> I get the following error message from the net-snmp library:
> "Unlinked OID in COMPANY_MIB: VariableName ::= { company 21 }".

A minor point, but MIB variable names really ought to start with
a lower case letter.   Initial upper case tokens are reserved
for type names, and similar built-in constructs.
  Try changing this to read
        variableName ::= { company 21 }

> What are the reasons for which one may get this error?

Where is the identifier "company" defined?
In the same MIB file, or somewhere else?
If in the same file, does it come before or after this problem line?
If somewhere else, does this MIB include an IMPORT statement for it?

>                                    I'm able to integrate my MIB
> module with the net-snmp agent successfully.

The MIB code works with numeric values, and typically doesn't care
about the MIB file at all.

  In fact, the Net-SNMP MIB parser is rather slack anyway, and will
let through things that aren't strictly legal. If you want to make
sure you've got a valid MIB file, you're best off running it through
one of the dedicate SMI tools, such as smilint.
  There's even an on-line interface at
      http://wwwsnmp.cs.utwente.nl/ietf/mibs/validate/