> I then grabbed the package Tk800-804.027.tar.gz. Performed the necessary
> gunzipped and untar. Rebuilt the TK and performed
> make install. All went a charm.
>
> Then I tried again:
>
> >   rpm -i net-snmp-5.1.1.rh9.i686.rpm
> to get the below:
> perl (Tk) is needed by net-snmp-5.1.1

The problem is that, although you've installed the perl-Tk module,
the RPm database doesn't know this (since you did it by hand).

One possibility is to remove this manual installation
and replace it with an RPM-based one.
   (e.g. http://atrpms.net/dist/rh9/perl-Tk/ - though this is untested)

Alternatively, you can tell the rpm command to ignore these dependencies
and install anyway.   "rpm --nodeps -i net-snmp-5.1.1.rh9.i686.rpm"