Well, I've come full circle.  I think I've confirmed that I have an authorization
problem.

- snmpget on the local host times out just as my client application does

- When the client times out, there's a note in the log that it tried (and failed, but
that's another issue) to send an authorization failure trap.

So, what's the problem?  Did the format or expected content of com2sec, etc. change
between 5.1.1 and 5.2.rc1?  I've got the configuration shown below.  The "public"
community works on- and off-node, "config" doesn't work at all.  This configuration
works with 5.1.1, fails with 5.2.rc2

com2sec config localhost config
group config v2c config
view config included .1
access config "" any noauth exact config config config

com2sec public default public
view public included .1
group public_v2 v1 public
group public_v2 v2c public
access public_v2 "" any noauth exact public none none
group public_v3 usm public
access public_v3 "" any auth exact public none none