Dave> a)   I could fire up a text editor, and generate exactly
Dave> the same code manually without ever using 'mib2c'.
Dave> That presumably wouldn't be subject to any automatic
Dave> licensing conditions.

That's different.  The results of your work would not in any way be
taken from the editor itself.  Unlike mib2c, which has *template* code
which is directly copied to the output.  I fail to see how something
which is directly copied from source A to output B doesn't fall under
the copyright conditions of source A.

Dave> c)   Assorted GNU code generation tools (such as gcc,
Dave> bison, etc) don't typically apply the GPL license
Dave> to the resulting code.

they don't produce the resulting code.  They take source A, "twiddle
it", to produce output B.  The input and output are the owners.  In
our case, the inputs are our source directly copied and MIBs.

Dave> By analogy, the output of mib2c would most naturally be
Dave> unaffected by the licensing of mib2c itself.

I agree that if you write your own mib2c.conf file and run mib2c on it
this doesn't apply.  It's only because (large) portions of the input
mib2c.conf files are directly copied to the output do I think this
matters.

Dave> But I am not a lawyer either, and have often been wrong
Dave> w.r.t. such things.

I'm not either.  And because of our disagreement, it shows even more
that no one should listen to our opinions (per normal ;-)

--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.