Mathew> I am working on updating a program I have to work with snmpv3.
Mathew> I have an snmpv3 capable device that has to be set up by
Mathew> inputting an MD5 key directly instead of creating one from a
Mathew> password.  As a simple test I set the MD5 key as
Mathew> 00112233445566778899aabbccddeeff, however I can't figure out
Mathew> how to send this key from my program to the device.  No matter
Mathew> what I try I get an Authentication Failure error.

Mathew> Here is what I have tried:

Mathew> Sending the key as a string

Mathew> Converting the string into 16 actual bytes and sending that as
Mathew> the key.

Mathew> Does anyone know what form the key is suppose to be in to work
Mathew> correctly?

First, before trying to do it in code you should try it on the command
line first...

use snmpget --defAuthLocalizedKey or --defAuthMasterKey for example.

Part of the problem you're likely having is that the session structure
you're filling in either needs to be given a master key or a localized
key.  I'm betting the device is asking for a localized key, but your
documentation should know that.  The session field is for a master
key, not a localized key.
--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.