Dear all,

I've just installed net-snmp (ver 5.3.1) in a embedded system running linux MontaVista. All seems work fine except for creating new users.
Due to the matter of the system, it must be possible creating and deleting new users avoiding to manually edit configuration files. Therefore I've to use snmpusm application.

In the ...etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file I have previously added next lines:

createUser initial MD5 initial_pass
rwuser  initial

Managing with  'initial' user works fine:

# snmpget -v3  -u  initial -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initial_pass localhost system.sysUpTime.0
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (194832189) 22 days, 13:12:01.89

Now and I try to create new rw user using next command sequence:

# snmpvacm -v3 -u initial -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initial_pass localhost createSec2Group 3 myuser RWGroup
Sec2group successfully created.

# snmpvacm -v3 -u initial -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initial_pass localhost createAccess RWGroup  3 2 1 all all none
Access successfully created.

# snmpusm  -v3 -u initial -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initial_pass localhost create myuser initial
User successfully created.

# snmpusm  -v3 -u initial -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A initial_pass localhost -Ca passwd initial_pass myuser_pass myuser
SNMPv3 Key(s) successfully changed.

In above sequence you can see no error messages. All seems Ok, but on trying to Get returns error.
Following are snmpget command with usm traces enabled.

# snmpget -Dusm -v3  -u  myuser -l authNoPriv -a MD5 -A myuser_pass localhost system.sysUpTime.0
usm: getting user
usm: USM processing has begun (offset 22)
usm: getting user
usm: Failed to find engine data.
usm: USM processing completed.
usm: USM processing begun...
usm: USM processing completed.
usm: USM processing has begun (offset 49)
usm: getting user myuser
usm: match on user myuser
usm: USM processing completed.
usm: USM processing begun...
usm: match on user myuser
usm: Verification succeeded.
usm: USM processing completed.
DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

Managing with new user always return error.

Is threre any wrong in above command sequence ?

I noticed that the persistent data file /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf never change, despite of new user created. Should it do ? In the users table don't appear any entry with 'myuser'.
I tried to warm restart snmpd using kill -s HUP and engineBoots token is always at 1.
Due to the matter of my system (read only filesystem) , I've mounted persistent data folder /var/net-snmp/ in ram. Could it be a constrain for net-snmp ?

Thanks for help me.