Title: Message
>>  I executed a small test with the snmpget command running in a loop for the same parameter with a 1 second delay between each requests.  One out of every ten or so requests received this error message.  Also, this behaviour is seen for any parameter.

It seems the subagent is taking long time to respond for some of the get requests given by SNMPD. Hence SNMPD was returning error message.
Can you try out with some big value of agentxTimeout (say 10 seconds) in snmpd.conf file ..? Also, can you try snmpget by specifying zero retries and some timeout value.

For eg,
snmpget -v2c -c public -r 0 -t 10 localhost <OID>

Regards,
Suresh.