From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Dave Shield
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:45 AM
To: Joan Landry
Cc: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Netsnmp Security issue

2008/7/31 Joan Landry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Why should the -I option have an impact on the master agent doing
> authentication?

Because the authentication and access control functions are
implemented as (optional) modules.   If you omit these module
from the master agent, then it won't do authentication/access control.

>  If I add any of the vacm tables I get:
> getaddrinfo: vacmContextTable Name or service not known

What were the exact module(s) that you added?

I *think* that you just need 'vacm_context' to have the agent
handle access control.   If you want to configure this via the
snmpd.conf file, then you need to activate 'vacm_conf'
If you want to query/configure this information via the MIB tables, then
you need to activate 'vacm_vars'.

You may/may not need to add some of the usm*  modules
as well.   I haven't tried playing with this myself, but try
adding all of these six, and then whittle down until you get the minimal
acceptable working set.

It might also be useful if you could feed back your discoveries so that
others can learn from your experiences.