        It should be "agentgroup root".

> ucd-snmp: 1 error(s) in config file(s)
> Turning on AgentX master support.
> Note this is still experimental and shouldn't be used on critical
> systems.

        Heh?  How old is this?

> /usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 60: Error: Blank line following
> agentgroup token.
> ucd-snmp: 1 error(s) in config file(s)
> illegal port transport 172.16.10.88:161

        That notation has been valid for ages...

> Server Exiting with code 1
> cccbl:~ #
>
> I'd started with net-snmp 5.5. After reading on somewhere that older
> versions might work better i changed to net-snmp 5.4.2 and now ucd-
> snmp-4.2.3 ...
>
> Does this add to my problems??

        Exponentially.  Just use 5.5.  Whomever advocates older versions is
misguiding you.

        Also, I'm guessing this snmpd.conf was generated by that old version -
you should probably re-run net-snmp-config after bringing your version up to
date.

        HTH,

Mike