For the benefit of all :

- I was using the "mfd" method to generate the template "C" code
- I was using the dlmod method to extend the agent.
- The problem was with my make file I had used to build the shared object.
- I had missed the step of running net-snmp-config --cflags and --ldflags
- Run net-snmp-config ( You can pass a number of flags ) to obtain a lot of
build related information for building your shared object.
- Add the results of net-snmp-config --cflags --ldflags to your make file's
cflags and ldflags options
- This results  in a correctly built shared object
- MORAL OF THE STORY : For build related information "NET-SNMP-CONFIG" is
your friend.
- I particularly was hosed because i had missed a compile time  "inline
flag" that was needed.