JL> In the sending unit I have snmpd.conf
JL> trapsess -r 3 -t 1500 -Ci  -e 0x80000523010a0b0cab -l authPriv -u jlnewuser
-a M
JL> D5 -A abcdefgh -x DES -X abcdefgh 10.11.12.32

But there you're adding both the -e and the -Ci option (and based on
your original message, you don't want the -Ci because you want to use traps).

JL> In the trap receiver (snmptrapd) in snmptrapd.conf I have
JL> createUser -e 0x80000523010a0b0cab jlnewuser MD5 abcdefgh DES abcdefgh

But with INFORMs it won't work, because the USM agent will only accept
engineIDs that are it's own when it's authoritative (which it is in the
case of an INFORM).

So, either:

1) remove the -e's and use INFORMs
2) remove the -Ci and use TRAPs

   (note that you don't need the -e on the trapsess line if you use the
   same engineID as the agent, which it'll use by default; you just need
   to tell snmptrapd to create a user with the snmpd agent's engineid).

--
Wes Hardaker
SPARTA, Inc.